Fort Sill in Comanche County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
This building was originally constructed in 1870 to serve as the commissary storehouse. It is unique among all the historic buildings, having started as a horizontal, log structure resting on a stone foundation over 200 feet in length. By 1872, the increasing numbers of Infantry on post needed additional space, and a new commissary was erected southeast of the quadrangle, freeing this facility for use as a barracks.
Subsequent remodeling saw the replacement of the log walls with more durable limestone. A basement extended half the building's length which was used a shooting gallery during inclement weather. Soon a full-length front porch was added and a new rear wing which accommodated a mess hall and kitchen. A separate stone building was constructed behind the barracks which functioned as a wash house for the 90 soldiers living here. Among the many Infantry units which occupied these barracks were the all-black, 24th and 25th Infantry and also the 11th, 12th, 13th, 16th 18th, and 20th Infantry Regiments.
When the "New Post" was constructed farther west in 1909-11, the old Infantry barracks was used as housing for the ordnance personnel and Detachment "I" of the Field Artillery School. The NCO's quarters were relocated from the center of the building (two center doors) to the extreme east and west at this time. A barber shop was also set up in the southwest corner of the barracks.
Much of the old post was used for "spill over" activities after WWI, and barracks became a warehouse for various organizations. In the 1950's, the former barracks were eventually converted to a Childcare Development Center for "Little Troopers." This new function brought about more alterations to the building such as enclosing the front porch, installing several wood and concrete ramps, and a completely equipped playground.
Today, the old barracks has been returned to its 1875 appearance.
Floorplan for Infantry company barracks as it appeared in the early 1870's without the attached kitchen and mess hall.
Infantry Soldier in the 1880's.
Location. 34° 40.183′ N, 98° 23.217′ W. Marker is in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, in Comanche County. Marker is on Quanah Road west of Chickasha Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Sill OK 73503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Guardhouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun M65 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Proud American (approx. 0.3 miles away); Under the Southern Cross Americal (23rd) Infantry Division (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Sill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Quinette Crossing (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Sill.
More about this marker. Marker is located in the 'Old Post Museum' area of Fort Sill, which is an active US military installation. The museum is open to the public, but appropriate identification is required for access to Fort Sill.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2012, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 446 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 5, 2012, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?