Coriscana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Welding Shop of H. C. Nicol
H. C. Nicol (1892-1963)
Expert with acetylene torch, Nicol is remembered as first welder operating in the Navarro County oil fields, which opened 1894. He began work about 1912, at a time when he had to mix own welding chemicals. In addition he pioneered welding of cast iron and aluminum in this area.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7239.)
Location. 32° 5.355′ N, 96° 27.848′ W. Marker is in Coriscana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker can be reached from 400 Block South 12th Street. Touch for map. Located between West 7th Avenue and West 10th Avenue in the Petroleum Industry Park. Marker is in this post office area: Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of the Petroleum Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); First Commercial Oil Discovery in Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Magnolia Cannon (within shouting Capt. Charles Henry Allyn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnson-McCammon House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines (approx. ¼ mile away); Corsicana Army Airfield (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coriscana.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. a clearer photo of the marker • Can you help?