First Baptist Missionary Church 1875
First organized in 1875, Second Baptist was built on a one-acre site officially deeded to the church by Taylor N. Cox and wife, M. C. Cox, on April 9, 1885. The original architecture was of the front gable with central tower type. Changes included additional rooms and the enclosing of the vestibule. Church founders included Warren Williams, John Curry, Alfred Boxer Sr., Ed Curry, Aaron Hamilton, Bob Walker, Aaron Jordan, Jack Christian, and Susie Christian, with Donna Pruitt serving as first secretary.
Rev. J.H. Smith was pastor in 1910 when the church’s name was changed to First Baptist Missionary Church. In 1938, its building began to be used as a site for classes and commencement programs for old Merritt Junior High School. During the 1960s, First Baptist was an important site for African American voter registration and other Civil Rights-related activities. The Church also played a significant role in the
Placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage December 4, 1992.
Erected 2000 by The Bullock County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 4.521′ N, 85° 31.747′ W. Marker is in Midway, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on Old Troy Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway AL 36053, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Merritt School Midway Community Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Midway (approx. half a mile away); St. James C.M.E. Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Midway Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis Highway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 3.6 miles away); Election Riot of 1874 (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midway.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 619 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.