Log Cabin Museum/Old City Cemetery
Log Cabin Museum
Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in the log home.
At one time an additional bedroom and chimney were on the right side, and the back porch was closed in for cooking and eating. A small log kitchen stood a few feet from the back and was later converted to a smoke house. The milk house beside the well was on stilts to protect butter and milk from animals.
In 1981 the Bullock Historical Society moved the cabin into Union Springs from its original site at Stills Cross Roads in southern Bullock County and restored it as a museum.
Old City Cemetery
(The Confederate Cemetery)
Micajah Norfleet Eley donated land in 1849 for the Baptist Church and an adjoining public cemetery. The oldest cemetery in Union Springs, it served the city for 35 years. The Confederate Monument at the center of the cemetery was unveiled at the intersection of Prairie and Hardaway Streets on March 29, 1895 by the Ladies Memorial Association. In 1973 it was moved to its present location.
Locally known as the Confederate Cemetery, it includes the tombstones of some twenty-two Confederate soldiers. Below the
Erected 1997 by Bullock County Historical Society and Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 8.605′ N, 85° 43.035′ W. Marker is in Union Springs, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on U.S. 82 just west of Prairie Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located behind the Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater. Marker is in this post office area: Union Springs AL 36089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bullock County Courthouse Historic District (about 800 feet away); Union Springs, Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. one mile away); Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 5˝ miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Springs.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 759 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.