Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hearn's Pond

 
 
Hearn's Pond Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
1. Hearn's Pond Marker
Inscription. This body of water was created in 1816, when a grist mill was established on Clear Brook Branch at this location by Nathaniel Ross. Known by various names, most notebly those of two early owners, William Cannon and William Ross, the mill was destroyed by fire in 1879. The Cannon and Ross Mill became known as Hearn's Mill when Marcellus Hearn bought the property in 1885. The Corn Stone from the original mill was saved from the fire and installed in the new mill which was erected in its place. Hearn later installed rollers for grinding grain to replace the traditional wheel turned stones, making the mill more efficient for flour production. George H. Hearn and Mary Rawlins, Marcellus' son and daughter, took over the mill following his death in 1916. Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill continued in the possession of the family members until 1999, when it was purchased by the United Nation of Islam. The mill structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Hearn's Pond is now the property of the State of Delaware.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-223.)
 
Location. 38° 40.737′ N, 75° 35.595′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County
Hearn's Pond Marker, looking south along Bridgeville Highway image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
2. Hearn's Pond Marker, looking south along Bridgeville Highway
. Marker is on Bridgeville Highway (Alternate U.S. 13), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Shore Drive and Hearns Pond Road. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slave Quarter (approx. 2 miles away); Family Home of William H. H. Ross (approx. 2 miles away); Seaford (approx. 2.1 miles away); Governor Ross Mansion (approx. 2.1 miles away); Seaford Hundred (approx. 2.2 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 2 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 2 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Regarding Hearn's Pond. National Register of Historic Places:
Hearn and Rawlins Mill (added 1978 - - #78000928)
Also known as Cannon and Ross Mill;Hearn Mill
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Industry
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1875-1899
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Industry/Processing/Extraction
♦ Historic Sub-function: Manufacturing Facility
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Hearn's Pond image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
3. Hearn's Pond
Hearn's Pond, Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
4. Hearn's Pond, Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill
Mill, at pond's edge image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
5. Mill, at pond's edge
One-time Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
6. One-time Hearn and Rollins Flour Mill
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement