Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10786.)
Location. 29° 45.724′ N, 95° 21.644′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Congress Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Main Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pillot Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (about 300 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 400 feet away); Old Market Square Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (about 500 feet away); The Kennedy Bakery (about 500 feet away); Harris County (about 600 feet away); Magnolia Brewery Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Regarding Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building. This building is in the National Register of Historic Places.
Victorian architect George E Dickey was trained in Boston and had worked in Toronto. He relocated to Houston in 1878, where he became a prolific local architect, designing several buildings in Houston and Galveston. This is one of only two of his buildings surviving in Houston.
The building, with its elaborate Eastlake ornamentation, is thought to be a radical remodeling of the plain, 3-story 1861 brick Van Alstyne Building. When the jewelry firm of Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks purchased the building, they added additional floor space. The entire facade of the structure was altered to accommodate the new store and the additional space. The jewelry store was located at street level with workrooms above.
This one building, more than any other,
Also see . . . Houston Architecture Page. (Submitted on November 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.