Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery

 
 
Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
1. Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker
Inscription.
U.S.A.
Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery

Capt. Joseph B. Campbell, U.S.A. Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)

Early in the morning this battery advanced from its bivouac north of Jos. Poffenberger's, passing through the North Woods to the ploughed field immediately south of them. One section, under command of Lieut. James Stewart, was advanced to a position east of D.R. Miller's house and about 205 yards from this road, and shelled the woods around and north of the Dunkard Church. In a few minutes Stewart crossed the road and, taking position about 80 yards west of this point, engaged the Confederate artillery and infantry. He was soon joined by the other four guns of the battery which took position on his left, one gun on the road, a few feet in advance, working effectively against the Confederate infantry in the cornfield. The Battery was charged by [J.B.] Hood's Division. The charge being repulsed by a rapid fire of double charges of cannister, with the assistance of the infantry supports - the Brigades of Gibbon and Patrick. In this contest Captain Campbell was wounded and the command fell to Lieut. Stewart. After a close and severe engagement in which the Battery lost 9 men killed and 31 wounded and 26 horses killed, it retired to the field north of the Miller House, where it again went into action.
Battery B Marker in front of a 12-pdr Napoleon Gun image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
2. Battery B Marker in front of a 12-pdr Napoleon Gun

 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 103.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 28.929′ N, 77° 44.941′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Dunker Church Road / Old Hagerstown Pike, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located south of the D.R. Miller Farm House. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Army Corps (a few steps from this marker); Doubleday's Division, First Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, 4th United States Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Twelfth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Doubleday's Division, First Army Corps (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Twelfth Army Corps
Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
3. Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker
(about 400 feet away); 13th New Jersey Infantry (about 400 feet away); Indiana State Monument (about 500 feet away); 124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Related Markers.
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery. The Battery of six 12-pdr Napoleon guns belonged to the 1st Division (Doubleday's), I Corps. Bugler John Cook was a member of the battery and received the Medal of Honor (in 1894) for his actions here. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. The Other Tablet Number 103 On the Old Hagerstown Road. Identified by the Park Service as a duplicate in the numbering sequence, the marker for F Battery, 5th U.S. Artillery now stands on the Smoketown Road. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

4. Joseph B. Campbell. Joseph Boyd
Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery Marker
Campbell (1833 or 1836 – 28 August 1891) was an officer in the United States Army who served as the seventh commander of the Department of Alaska, from August 17, 1874 to June 14, 1876. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

5. Capt. Joseph Campbell. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Capt. Joseph B. Campbell (d. 1891) image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott
5. Capt. Joseph B. Campbell (d. 1891)
12-pdr Napoleon image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
6. 12-pdr Napoleon
This Napoleon standing beside the old Hagerstown Road represents part of Stewart's section which fired upon elements of Wofford's Brigade across the pike and a few yards to the south. The piece is registered as Number 39, cast by Revere Cooper, Boston, Massachusetts, in 1862.
Second Gun of Lt. Stewart's 12-pdr Napoleon Section image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
7. Second Gun of Lt. Stewart's 12-pdr Napoleon Section
A little further into the field is this example identified (tentatively) as No. 213 manufactured by Henry N. Hooper & Co in 1863.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,233 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6, 7. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement