Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington’s Road

 
 
Washington's Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 26, 2011
1. Washington's Road Marker
Inscription. By order of Colonel Bouquet, George Washington’s troops opened this road from Fort Cumberland to Reas-town (Bedford, Pa.) during July 1758. Bouquet and Washington conferred half way between these places July 30, 1758.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Location. 39° 43.335′ N, 78° 42.328′ W. Marker is near Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on U.S. 220, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker just before the Pennsylvania state line. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania (approx. 0.3 miles away in Pennsylvania); Camp Mason & Dixon (approx. 0.7 miles away in Pennsylvania); Evart's Homesite (approx. 2.3 miles away); American Indian Rockshelter Trail (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Naming of the Lake (approx. 2.8 miles away); Life in Pleasant Valley (approx. 3.3 miles away); Martins Mountain (approx. 3.5 miles away); Folck's Mill (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable PersonsRoads & VehiclesWar, French and Indian
 
Washington’s Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 26, 2011
2. Washington’s Road Marker
This view is north. Pennsylvania is in the distance.
Washington's Road Marker image. Click for full size.
William J. Pratt - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), January 17, 1978
3. Washington's Road Marker
View is from the south, looking north. This marker has surely been moved since this photograph was taken, due to the widening of the road. The road that goes off to the right was Pine Ridge Road. The road on which it was first erected appears to have been renamed Granet Road, which now dead-ends before reaching US 220.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement