Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First White House of the Republic of Texas
First White House
Republic of Texas
Here dwelt President Sam Houston
from November, 1837 to December, 1838
and President Mirabeau B. Lamar,
from December, 1838 to October, 1839
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 10664.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 45.676′ N, 95° 21.683′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Main St, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pillot Building (about 400 feet away); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Old Market Square (about 600 feet away); The Kennedy Bakery (about 700 feet away); Harris County Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (about 800 feet away); Hogg Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.