Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpine in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe

 
 
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker
Inscription. Site of the first Roman Catholic Church in Alpine. Deeded to the Diocese of San Antonio in 1896 by father and son Daniel and Thomas O. Murphy. The original adobe church building was dedicated November 19, 1902, by the Rev. A.J. Forest, Bishop of San Antonio, attended by Father Nicholas Brocardus, pastor of the Alpine parish, and assisted by Father Joseph Hoban of Ft. Davis. In 1914, the church became part of the newly established Diocese of El Paso. Father Manuel Cuadrado was assigned as the first resident priest in 1916. In 1917, the name was changed to Our Lady of Peace. After the new rock church was constructed in 1943, the original adobe church building was used as the Parish Hall until 1963, when it was razed and replaced with the current Parish hall building dedicated on July 15, 1964.
The Archives of Big Bend
Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library

 
Erected by Sul Ross State University.
 
Location. 30° 21.283′ N, 103° 39.637′ W. Marker is in Alpine, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gallego Avenue and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Gallego Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in the sidewalk on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Alpine TX 79830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Marker
Marker in sidewalk.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Peace (a few steps from this marker); Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Garcia-Valadez House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ritchey Hotel (about 700 feet away); John R. Holland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Hotel Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Enduring Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gage-Van Sickle (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpine.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
4. Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement