Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eureka in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Eagle House

Eastlake/Queen Anne Architecture - circa 1887/1893

 

—Eureka Historic Landmark —

 
Eagle House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
1. Eagle House Marker
Inscription. Served passengers traveling by steamers docking at nearby wharves.

This program possible through a partnership with property owners Lee & Kwang Cho, Eureka Main Street and the Eureka Heritage Society.
 
Location. 40° 48.247′ N, 124° 10.192′ W. Marker is in Eureka, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and C Street on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139 2nd Street, Eureka CA 95501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The former Fairwind (within shouting distance of this marker); Metropole Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eureka Business College (about 600 feet away); C.W. Long Building (about 600 feet away); Clarke Memorial Museum (about 700 feet away); The Cousins Building (about 700 feet away); Needs/Williams Building (about 800 feet away); Italianate Architecture (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka.
 
Also see . . .  . The Eagle House Inn's history of the building:"The impressive Old Town Eureka landmark that has evolved today into the Eagle House Victorian Inn, began as the dream of Finnish emigrants, Henry and Elvira Tornroth, in 1886 when the couple first built a hotel and restaurant on the corner of 2nd and C streets. They named it the Eagle House. An extensive addition was made to the “modest, two-story structure” in 1888; and, when the “spectacular Grand Hotel” was constructed kitty-corner
The Eagle House - view looking west across 2nd Street image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
2. The Eagle House - view looking west across 2nd Street
The marker is barely visible here, mounted about head height about 3-4 yards north of the entrance on C Street (i.e. to the right of the entrance).
across from their business, the Tornroths took action. In 1893, they had the Eagle House divided in half; and moved one section north along C Street, and the other west along 2nd. The next step was having their contractor, M. McGaraghan, build a new three story edifice on the site, using “the original portion” of the Eagle House as “wings.” It was now a stunning stick-style building, decorated with many of the ornate Victorian embellishments that were so representative of the time; and the rambling interior offered plenty of options to potential tenants...."
(Submitted on November 15, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement