Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkhart in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Elkhart River Wharves

 
 
Elkhart River Wharves Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 16, 2012
1. Elkhart River Wharves Marker
Inscription. East from this point, along the "Elkheart" River were located the wharves where produce and merchandise to and from the village of "Elkheart", 1835 to 1851, was carried by Keel and Steamboat.
 
Erected by Elkhart Historical Society.
 
Location. 41° 41.434′ N, 85° 58.496′ W. Marker is in Elkhart, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main St and E. Sycamore St on N. Main St. Touch for map. The marker is located at the southeast corner of intersection adjacent to the Old National Bank parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 N. Main St, Elkhart IN 46516, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Island Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main St. Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Development of Diagnostic Test Strips (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Havilah Beardsley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rivers for Recreation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ruthmere (approx. 0.2 miles away); Havilah Beardsley (approx. mile away); The Rivers for Industry (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
SE corner of N. Main St and E. Sycamore St image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 16, 2012
2. SE corner of N. Main St and E. Sycamore St
View to the East from the Marker Location image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 16, 2012
3. View to the East from the Marker Location
A pedestrian bridge across the Elkhart River
is visible at the end of the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement