Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Joseph Catholic Church

 
 
St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Catholic clergy began serving residents of the Fort Davis area about 1872. Father Joseph Hoban was appointed pastor in 1876 and the First St. Joseph Catholic Church building was erected in 1879. Father Hoban was followed by circuit-riding priest who regarded St. Joseph's as the central church of the region. Father Brocardus Eeken came to Fort Davis in 1892. He and fellow Carmelite friars traveled thousands of miles each year, ministering to the 18 churches and mission stations in the Trans-Pecos and Big Bend. A new church was consecrated in 1899. Many parishes, including those in Alpine and Marfa, were created from this parish. Father Brocardus retired in 1935. St. Joseph Catholic Church continues to serve a large and diverse congregation.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11945.)
 
Location. 30° 35.686′ N, 103° 53.28′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street (State Highway 17/118) and Cavalry Road, on the right when traveling north on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Antonio-El Paso Road (approx.
St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker
mile away); Fort Davis (approx. mile away); The First Fort Davis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hotel Limpia (approx. half a mile away); Union Mercantile (approx. half a mile away); T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Fort Davis CSA (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jeff Davis County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Joseph Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. St. Joseph Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement