Barstow in Ward County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Public Library
Vicinity of Early Public Library
The Republic of Texas set a cultural example by legislation for a state library in 1839. In 1874 cities were authorized to establish public libraries, but most were privately financed.
A library near here about 1890 was gift of Miss Anna Gould, a daughter of railroad magnate Jay Gould, when she was visiting the stone quarry 4.5 miles east. She established the library — the first in Ward County, which was not organized until 1892 — for families near the quarry.
Most Texas counties now have free public libraries, since a 1919 law granted this privilege.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5645.)
Location. 31° 27.695′ N, 103° 23.651′ W. Marker is in Barstow, Texas, in Ward County. Marker is at the intersection of Mackey Avenue (Ranch to Market Road 516) and Concho Street, on the right when traveling north on Mackey Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barstow TX 79719, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Ward County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Old Ward County Bank (approx. Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 6 miles away); Emigrants' Crossing (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mrs. Lillie W. Cole (approx. 6.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers (approx. 6.4 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barstow.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.