Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Malakoff in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church

of Malakoff

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 17, 2012
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1852 by the Rev. Hezekiah Mitcham (1800-1865), this fellowship began with six charter members who first held services in various locations throughout the county. In 1854 the small congregation erected one of the first Methodist church buildings in the county. A log cabin chinked with mud, it was located on land donated by Mitcham's son James in the small settlement of Caney Creek. The church was known as Mitcham Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the community also came to be called Mitcham Chapel. The town later was named Malakoff for a village in Russia that had gained recognition during the Crimean War (1853-55). The congregation grew steadily in its early years and provided service and leadership to the community. In 1883 the membership agreed to move to the relocated town of Malakoff, which had moved 1.5 miles southwest of the original townsite when the railroad came through three years earlier. Several sanctuaries, including one destroyed in a 1933 tornado, have served the church since the move. From its small beginnings, the First United Methodist Church of Malakoff has grown, while maintaining its important ties to early Methodist history in Texas.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10358.)
 
Location.
First United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 17, 2012
2. First United Methodist Church and Marker
32° 10.217′ N, 96° 0.611′ W. Marker is in Malakoff, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on South College Street near East Mitcham Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 South College Street, Malakoff TX 75148, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Trinity River (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Malakoff Man (approx. 5.2 miles away); William Richardson (approx. 7.9 miles away); John Matthews McDonald (approx. 9.1 miles away); Stella E. Parsons La Rue (approx. 9.2 miles away); Joseph Thomas La Rue (approx. 9.2 miles away); Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 9.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement