Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early in its history, in 1851, a tornado struck the settlement, but miraculously caused little property damage and no injuries. A private school was established in 1852 and served children of the Green Lake and surrounding communities.
The outbreak of the Civil War caused many changes in Green Lake. Following the U.S. surrender by General David Twiggs in 1861, Federal troops camped near here awaiting transport ships. With its agricultural economy based largely upon slave labor, Green Lake declined following the war when landowners, facing a labor shortage, began to leave the area. By 1875, most of the original settlers were gone.
Although in existence a relatively short period of time, Green Lake contributed to the history of Calhoun County.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2268.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Mission Refugio (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cotton Gins of Calhoun County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 12.1 miles away); Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse (approx. 13.2 miles away); Port Lavaca (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.