Near Wallis in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(November 28, 1780 - December 30, 1837)
Martin joined the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition's bid to rid Texas of Spanish rule in 1812-1813. His father and nephew were killed at the decisive Battle of Medina. Martin, on a recruiting mission at the time, survived.
After a brief stay in Arkansas territory, the Allens moved back to northwest Louisiana about 1818 and settled in a community which shortly thereafter was named Allen's Settlement in Martin's honor.
In 1821 Martin traveled to nearby Wharton County as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists and was among the first settlers on the Colorado River. About 1834 the Allens purchased land here at Eight Mile Point (so named for its distance from San Felipe de Austin) from their son, Miles N. The Allens lived on this property for the rest of their lives.
Allen family members operated a "Public House" about ¼ mile east of here that was frequently visited by future hero of the Alamo,
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6344.)
Location. 29° 40.088′ N, 96° 6.91′ W. Marker is near Wallis, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of 36th Division Memorial Highway (State Highway 36) and Johnston Road, on the right when traveling south on 36th Division Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wallis TX 77485, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Felipe de Austin (approx. 7.7 miles away); Liedertafel (approx. 8½ miles away); San Felipe de Austin Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away); San Felipe United Methodist Church (approx. 9½ miles away); J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 9.7 miles away); A Town Hall (approx. 9.7 miles away); Early Roads To San Felipe (approx. 9.7 miles away); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 731 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.