Conroe in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Isaac Conroe Property
Temporary Montgomery County Courthouse
The original section of this residence was built by Conroe shortly after he purchased the site in 1885. Four years later he contracted with the county commissioners to use the property as a temporary courthouse. County records and offices were moved from Montgomery (17 mi. W) and remained here until a new courthouse was completed in 1891.
In 1896 Conroe sold the house to his son William Munger Conroe (1870-1947), a prominent lumberman and oil man. Major additions were later made to the home, which was originally a two-story frame structure with an outside stairway.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7868.)
Location. 30° 18.648′ N, 95° 27.242′ W. Marker is in Conroe, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue A and North 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue A. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conroe TX 77301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 822 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?