Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Corsicana

 
 
First Baptist Church of Corsicana Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. First Baptist Church of Corsicana Marker
Inscription.
   Originally known as the United Baptist Church, this fellowship was established through the leadership of the Rev. Noah Turner Byars, a pioneer preacher and founder of the Trinity River Baptist Association. The church organizational meeting was conducted in 1848 with early Texas Baptist leaders Judge R. E. B. Baylor and the Rev. Z. N. Morrell presiding.
   Worship services were first held in a community building shared with the local Presbyterian and Methodist congregations. In 1865, during the pastorate of the Rev. S. G. Mullins, the members moved to a vacant store at the corner of Third Avenue and Eleventh Street, where they worshiped for ten years. Sanctuaries were constructed at two other sites before the church moved to this location in 1901. An educational building, added later, was named for an early member and benefactor, Kate Stiteler McKie.
    Prominent pastors here have included the Rev. W. B. Bagby, first Southern Baptist missionary to Brazil, and the Rev. J. Howard Williams, later president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. Active in mission work, the church has served as sponsor for four area congregations: Memorial, Calvary, Northside, and Iglesia Bautista Calvario.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7193.)
First Baptist Church of Corsicana and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. First Baptist Church of Corsicana and Marker

 
Location. 32° 5.47′ N, 96° 28.124′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West Collin Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between North 14th and North 15th Avenues. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 West Collin Street, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Beth-El (about 400 feet away); Johnson-McCammon House (about 400 feet away); Birthsite of Beauford H. Jester (1893-1949) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Wistar Johnson, M. D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corsicana Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corsicana (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement