Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia Historical Society
The Georgia Historical Society, founded May 24, 1839, is one of the oldest historical societies in the country. Among it founders were L.K. Tefft, the noted autograph collector; William Bacon Stevens, historian, physician and prelate, and Dr. Richard D. Arnold, who as Mayor of Savannah, formally surrendered the City to General Sherman in 1864.
The Presidents of the Society have included John Macpherson Berrien, Attorney General under President Jackson and United States Senator; James M. Wayne, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States; and Henry R. Jackson, jurist, soldier, diplomat and poet.
Hodgson Hall, the home of the Society, is a repository for books, newspapers and manuscripts relating to the history of Georgia. Dedicated in 1876, the building was a gift of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and Mary Telfair as a memorial to William Brown Hodgson, the distinguished scholar of Oriental languages and United States Dragoman and Consul to the Barbary States and Turkey.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is located near the northwest corner of Forsythe Park. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jepson House Education Center (a few steps from this marker); Armstrong Junior College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial (about 400 feet away); Former Home of Henry R. Jackson (about 400 feet away); Comer House (about 600 feet away); Pulaski Monument (about 600 feet away); Casimir Pulaski (about 700 feet away); Forsyth Park (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Georgia Historical Society Official Website. About GHS: The Georgia Historical Society, headquartered in Savannah, is the oldest cultural institution in the state and one of the oldest historical organizations in the nation. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,806 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.