Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seminole in Gaines County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dan Cobb

(Dec. 2, 1868 – May 16, 1937)

 
 
Dan Cobb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
1. Dan Cobb Marker
Inscription. A native of Tennessee, Dan Cobb designed and constructed the first Gaines County Courthouse in 1906. He also built the second courthouse in 1922, as well as a First Baptist Church sanctuary, a schoolhouse and other significant early structures of the area. He and his wife Aurelia (Metcalf) (1869-1953) built a home at this site in 1906 for their family of 6 children. A charter member of the First Baptist Church and the Seminole School Board, Cobb had a federal mail contract for a 3-county area. His pioneer efforts and leadership were vital to the early growth of Gaines County.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1161.)
 
Location. 32° 43.456′ N, 102° 38.887′ W. Marker is in Seminole, Texas, in Gaines County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest 3rd Street and Northwest Avenue E, on the left when traveling north on Northwest 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 NW 3rd Street, Seminole TX 79360, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Gaines County (approx. half a mile away).
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Dan Cobb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
2. Dan Cobb Marker
Dan Cobb Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
3. Dan Cobb Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement