Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hobbs in Lea County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Llano Estacado

 
 
Llano Estacado Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 26, 2012
1. Llano Estacado Marker
Inscription. Nomadic Indians and countless buffalo herds dominated the vast plain when the Vasquez de Coronado expedition explored it in 1541. Later it was the focus of Comanchero activity, and in the 19th century it became a center for cattle ranching. The name Llano Estacado, or stockaded planes, refers to the fortress-like appearance of its escarpments.
 
Location. 32° 41.811′ N, 103° 11.204′ W. Marker is in Hobbs, New Mexico, in Lea County. Marker is on U.S. 62 0.3 miles west of NW County Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hobbs NM 88240, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hobbs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oil and Gas (approx. 6 miles away); Monument (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Exploration
 
Llano Estacado Marker (back side) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 26, 2012
2. Llano Estacado Marker (back side)
Llano Estacado Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 26, 2012
3. Llano Estacado Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement