Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutherland in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Appomattox Campaign (Sutherland Station)

 
 
Sutherland Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
1. Sutherland Station Marker
This marker is located along the Lee's Retreat driving tour.
Inscription. At Sutherland Station, on 2 Apr. 1865, the Confederates made a last attempt to maintain control of the South Side Railroad. Confederate Maj. Gen. Henry Heth organized the defense before returning to the main line in Petersburg. Brig. Gen. John R. Cooke commanded in Heth’s absence. Elements of Union Maj. Gen. Nelson’s division of the II Corps troops charged the Confederate left flank, commanded by Brig. Gen. Samuel McGowan. Overwhelmed, the flank disintegrated and the rest of the line fled as well. The loss severed Gen. Robert E. Lee’s supply line.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-313.)
 
Location. 37° 11.792′ N, 77° 33.754′ W. Marker is in Sutherland, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of Cox Road (U.S. 460) and Namozine Road (Virginia Route 708) when traveling west on Cox Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sutherland VA 23885, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Engagement at Sutherland Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Fork Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sutherland Station
Cox Road (facing east) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
2. Cox Road (facing east)
(about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Sutherland Station (about 700 feet away); The Battle of Sutherland (about 700 feet away); Rocky Branch School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonel John Banister (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Battle of White Oak Road (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutherland.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lee’s Retreat. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Lee's Retreat to Appomattox. Virginia Civil War Trails (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. The Battle of Sutherland’s Station. The American Civil War website. (Submitted on January 22, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Sutherland Station Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
3. Sutherland Station Markers
There are several other Sutherland Station markers close to this one.
Fork Inn image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
4. Fork Inn
This building was called the Sutherland Tavern in 1865. On April 2, 1865, the Fork Inn found itself on the Confederate defense line along the South Side Railroad. The ensuing battle left the house and grounds occupied by Federal troops. Most of its contents were destroyed, and it was used briefly as a hospital.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,071 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2. submitted on May 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement