Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

City of Madison

 
 
City of Madison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 8, 2009
1. City of Madison Marker
Inscription. Establish in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869.
First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five aldermen, William B. Dunn, first depot agent; Thomas J. Clay, first postmaster; George W. Martin, first merchant; James H. Bibb, planter and Dr. George R. Sullivan.

The community remained small until the growth of industries associated with Redstone Arsenal and the Jetport in the 1950's and 1960's transformed Madison into thriving city.
 
Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 41.643′ N, 86° 44.923′ W. Marker was in Madison, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker was on Church Street near Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Madison City Park. Marker was in this post office area: Madison AL 35758, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. "The Roundhouse" (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Tears (a few steps from this marker); Madison County Veterans (within
Madison City Park image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 8, 2009
2. Madison City Park
Marker is located off photo to the left.
shouting distance of this marker); Affair at Madison Station / Affair at Indian Creek Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Pension Row (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Henry Bibb (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lee Mansion (approx. 2.6 miles away); White Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Also see . . .
1. James Henry Bibb. James Henry Bibb was one of the founders of Madison Station, which later became the city of Madison, Alabama. (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

2. Thomas J. Clay. First Postmaster (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

3. Dr George Richard Sullivan. Doctor (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
City of Madison Marker behind Wall of Heroes image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 25, 2009
3. City of Madison Marker behind Wall of Heroes
City of Madison Missing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ken Smith, December 4, 2012
4. City of Madison Missing Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on December 7, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.   3. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.   4. submitted on December 7, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement