Forgotten Village of Brandywine
Eventually, Brandywine’s prosperity dried up. The Ohio & Erie Canal, and later the railroads, shipped goods to the cities of Akron and Cleveland, leaving towns like Brandywine behind. Except for the barn and house built by James Wallace in 1848—now restored as the Inn at Brandywine Falls—only a few hidden foundations remain of the Village of Brandywine.
Brandywine Falls’ rock base (right) consists of alternating layers of erosion-resistant sandstone and easily eroded shales. In the Village of Brandywine (below) is the mid-1800s, a steel bridge carried Brandywine Road over Brandywine Creek, just before the falls next to the gristmill (to the left in photo). In the distance stands the Wallace Farm, now the Inn at Brandywine Falls.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cuyahoga Valley National Park (here, next to this marker); Boston (approx. 1.4 miles away); Boston Store (approx. 1˝ miles away); A New Champion for an Old Canal (approx. 1˝ miles away); Linking the Wilderness to the World (approx. 1˝ miles away); Boston Mills Road Bridge (approx. 1˝ miles away); Industry Shapes the Valley (approx. 1.6 miles away); Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Forgotten Village of Brandywine.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.