Mount Vernon in Jefferson County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Illinois Supreme Court in Mt. Vernon
Illinois's Second State Constitution, which was adopted in 1848, provided for one Supreme Court divided into three Grand Divisions. Mt. Vernon was designated as the site of the First Grand Division, Springfield was the site of the Second Grand Division, and Ottawa was the site of the Third Grand Division. In 1854, the state legislature appropriated $6,000 for the erection of the Supreme Courthouse for the First Grand Division in Mt. Vernon. The courthouse was built here on property donated by Zadok Casey, the founder of Mt. Vernon and a former Lieutenant Governor of Illinois. In 1857, the courthouse was completed.
Location. 38° 19.049′ N, 88° 54.484′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon, Illinois, in Jefferson County. Marker is on 14th Street north of Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Vernon IL 62864, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Appellate Court in Mt. Vernon (here, next to this marker); State of Illinois v. Illinois Central Railroad (here, next to this marker); Why Is Lincoln Beardless? (here, next to this marker); Attorney Abraham Lincoln Appellate Courthouse (here, next to this marker); War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Women Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Vernon.
Also see . . .
1. Appellate Courthouse History. (Submitted on December 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Third Branch: A Chronicle of the Illinois Supreme Court. (Submitted on December 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.