The Alley Mill Hamlet
—Ozark National Scenic Riverways —
Early settlers built a grist mill at the edge of the spring about 1868. In 1894 the steel roller mill was constructed on the same site and still stands today. Steel rollers that ground the grain were powered by a turbine rather than a waterwheel. The turbine can be seen beneath the porch on the east side of the mill.
The presence of a mill led to the addition of other services. After designation of a post office in 1884, the area became known as Alley. Eventually, the community that developed around the mill contained a general store, blacksmith shop, and school as well.
Because of early preservation efforts Alley Spring Mill remains as a symbol of our heritage. In 1924 Alley Spring became one of our Missouri state parks. In 1964 it was given to the National Park Service by the State of Missouri and designated as part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.
Location. 37° 8.574′ N, 91° 26.514′ W. Marker is in Eminence, Missouri
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eminence (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.