La Vieille Eglise
(The Old Church)
(Translated by Google Translate with modifications:)
The Old Church
Called by the Bonnieulais since the nineteenth century erection of a new church at the bottom of the village. Old church or high church or Saint Sauveur, it culminates at 429 m altitude. It is distinguished by being partly Romanesque on the east side. Later, it came to be joined by its side chapels. From the XIVth century, the popes in Avignon, Bonnieux was a papal enclave, the church expands in the XVth century in the Gothic style of Provence, and the eighteenth century. The original entrance is south gate and has the advantage of protecting the faithful from the mistral and includes a floral arch and a tympanum with a carved eagle. The Blessed Virgin of the bell tower dates from 1865. In recent years, the association for the restoration and preservation of the Old Church and the municipality have implemented programs to restore the walls of the vault floor and two chapels: the Ascension of the Virgin and the deceased. The church also contains an exceptional eighteenth century organ (it was used until 1939). Every year at Christmas, a magnificent crib is created by a child in the country. And there is still one Bonnieux bellringer! ... Lou Campania Around the building can be distinguished two successive enclosures of the cemeteries, including the transfer to the last (southern garden with views over the Luberon) required many years of discussions and controversies (1820-1867).
Erected by Mairie de Bonnieux. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 43° 49.39′ N, 5° 18.55′ E. Marker is in Bonnieux, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, in Vaucluse Département. Marker can be reached from Rue du Castelas. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bonnieux, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur 84480, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belvedere (within shouting distance of this marker); Escaliers Emile Gardon (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonnieux (within shouting distance of this marker); Rue Droite (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ancien Hotel de Ville ou Hotel de Rouvil (about 90 meters away); Place du Moulin a Huile (about 150 meters away); Rue Voltaire (about 150 meters away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.