Judiciary Square in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Building Out the Square
Civil War to Civil Rights
— Downtown Heritage Trail —
By this time, the Old City Hall/Courthouse had lost most of its DC government functions. The city's commissioners, police and fire chiefs, and engineers had moved to the 1908 District Building (now the John A. Wilson Building) on Pennsylvania Avenue. But as the city needed more offices, planners looked again at Judiciary Square.
By 1943, the Judiciary Square courthouses and offices you can see from here were complete. Municipal architect Nathan C. Wyeth designed the 1941 Art Deco style Municipal Center across Indiana Avenue for the police and fire departments' headquarters and other agencies.
For Judiciary Square, Wyeth designed three courthouses to harmonize with the Old City Hall; the Juvenile Court at 409 E. Street, and the Police and Municipal Courts framing today's National Law
One Judiciary Square, across Fourth Street, became DC's city hall between 1992 and 2001, while the District Building on Pennsylvania Avenue underwent renovation. In 2007, as part of Mayor Adrian Fenty's "Greening the District" program, the building received a green roof.
The Francis Perkins U.S. Department of Labor building, ahead of you along D Street, honors President Franklin D. Roosevelt's secretary of labor, the first woman Cabinet member and the principal architect of the Social Security Acct and other worker protections.
The Civil War (1861 - 1865) transformed Washington, DC from a muddy backwater to a center of national power. Ever since, the city has been at the heart of the continuing struggle to realize fully the ideas for which the war was fought. The 25 signs that mark this trail follow the footsteps of Abraham Lincoln, Walt Whitman, Clara Barton, Frederick Douglas, and others, famous and humble, who shaped a nation and its capital city while living and working in historic downtown DC.
Civil War to Civil Rights Downtown Heritage Trail is an Official Washington, DC Walking Trail. The self-guided tour consists of three distinct loops: West, Center, and East. Each one-mile loop offers about an hour of gentle exercise.
A free booklet capturing the trail's highlights is available
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number e.5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Downtown Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 53.701′ N, 77° 0.977′ W. Marker is in Judiciary Square, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street Northwest and Indiana Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 4th Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 4th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Discover DC / Judiciary Square (a few steps from this marker); Albert Pike Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Sitting in Judgment (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Courthouse Reborn (about 500 feet away); National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 700 feet away); Washington City Spring (about 700 feet away); Senator Daniel Webster (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel Webster (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Judiciary Square.
Categories. • Government • Heroes • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Building Out the Square.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on December 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on December 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 13, 14. submitted on December 14, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.