Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street
The 65-bed hospital served "all poor persons regardless of color or creed." In the early 1900's, more that 20 percent of patients were Russian Jews from the surrounding neighborhood and around 10 percent were African Americans. Eye cases constituted two-thirds of the total caseload, while ear and throat cases made up the remainder. The building was modernized in 1952, and an elevator installed.
In 1965 the hospital merged with the Hospital for the Women of Maryland to form the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. GBMC built a new hospital in Towson the following year, but continued to operate an outpatient clinic here for many years. In 2005 the Helping Up Mission remodeled the building for its corporate offices., graduate transitional housing, education and job training.
Erected by The City of Baltimore, Staphanie Rawlings-Blake,
Location. 39° 17.43′ N, 76° 36.161′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1017 East Baltimore Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1023 East Baltimore Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 1029 East Baltimore Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 400 feet away); B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 500 feet away); McKim Free School (about 500 feet away); On to Yorktown (about 600 feet away); 1781 Friends Meeting House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.