Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tullahoma in Coffee County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Isham G. Harris

 
 
Isham G. Harris Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman, June 13, 2008
1. Isham G. Harris Marker
Inscription. Born near here, 1818. Was the only governor of Confederate State of Tennessee. In Congress 1849-51; elected governor, 1857-59-61. When U.S. forces captured Nashville, joined staff of Army of Tennessee for remainder of War. Fled to Mexico, 1865; returned 1867. Was U.S. Senator from 1877 until his death in 1897.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2E 11.)
 
Location. 35° 21.408′ N, 86° 12.447′ W. Marker is near Tullahoma, Tennessee, in Coffee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jackson Street (U.S. 41A) and West Volney Street, on the right when traveling south on South Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tullahoma TN 37388, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Army of Tennessee (here, next to this marker); Tullahoma Campaign (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Tullahoma Campaign (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tullahoma Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Camp Forrest
Ganoe-Bussell Log Cabin (ca. 1850) image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 24, 2014
2. Ganoe-Bussell Log Cabin (ca. 1850)
This log cabin, which may be the oldest extant building in Tullahoma, was located at 607 S. Atlantic Street when it was discovered in 1990. Will and Grace Ganoe purchased the house in 1898 from the family of Thomas Wells. Ganoe descendants lived in the house until 1975. The family had always known one room as the "log room" The Middle Tennessee State University Center for Historic Preservation assessed the structure and described the building as a single pen log structure. The outside horizontal dimensions are 14'10" by 16'0" and the height of the log walls is 8'10". The log walls appear to be oak, surfaced with a broadax or foot adze and measure about 4" thick horizontally and average 9-11 vertically. Corners were created using square-notching techniques. Chinking consisted mostly of split cedar pieces with a few circular sawn pieces apparent. The Center concluded that the building falls within the Midland American log culture in terms of its overall construction and floor plan. Based on saw marks and nail chronology, the roofing system and door and window trim date between 1850 and 1880. Clark and Barbara Bussell donated the cabin to the Historic Preservation Society of Tullahoma, Inc. for preservation. Society members dismantled the logs and reconstructed the building at its present location. A porch, roof, flooring, limestone chimney and interior furnishings were added to restore the structure in a style typical of the Mid-Nineteenth Century. The cabin is open to the public by appointment (455-3534)
(within shouting distance of this marker); Baillet Sisters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Red Caboose (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tullahoma.
 
Isham G. Harris and other nearby Markers image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman, June 13, 2008
3. Isham G. Harris and other nearby Markers
Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman, June 13, 2008
4. Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin
Near the Isham G. Harris Marker and the South Jackson Civic Center
Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin Informational Sign image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman
5. Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin Informational Sign
Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman, June 13, 2008
6. Ganoe/ Bussell Cabin
South Jackson Civic Center image. Click for full size.
By Sharon N. Goodman, June 13, 2008
7. South Jackson Civic Center
Markers at this location are near the South Jackson Civic Center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,426 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on December 16, 2012, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas.   2. submitted on July 24, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Sharon N. Goodman of Round Rock, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement