Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first newspaper in Navarro County, called the "Prairie Blade," began publication in 1855 and was owned by Dan Donaldson. By 1859 the paper was owned by R. A. Van Horn who changed its name to the "Navarro Express." Paper was in short supply with the coming of the Civil War, and the "Express" was issued only when paper was available.
Publications begun in Corsicana in the 1870s and 1880s included the "Odd Fellowship and Literature," the "Texas Observer," a four-sheet journal called the "Corsicana Methodist," and a literary magazine called "The Texas Prairie."
The "Corsicana Semi-Weekly Light" first appeared on September 7, 1888. The "Corsicana Daily Sun" began publication March 2, 1895. Both papers were owned by the Sun-Light Publishing Company by 1895. In 1962 the Harte-Hanks Newspaper chain purchased both papers and established the news coverage area as the "Golden Circle," which represented a 30-mile radius of Corsicana. Harte-Hanks built a new facility and sold the "Corsicana Daily Sun" to Worrell Newspapers in 1987. The paper changed owners later in 1987, then in November, 1991, the "Daily Sun" was purchased by the American Publishing Company.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11607.)
Location. Touch for map. Located between East 6th Avenue and East Collin Street, at building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 East Collin Street, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Molloy Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Emerson Whiteselle (about 600 feet away); Site of Merchants Opera House (about 800 feet away); State National Bank of Corsicana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. Charles Henry Allyn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collin Street Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Beaton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry G. Damon (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.