Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Pecan Springs School
Later, under county system, this became District Number 61. Its southern boundary was the Colorado River. By 1943 it had six teachers. It was annexed to Austin in 1951; closed in 1956.
Erected 1973 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 15647.)
Location. 30° 17.862′ N, 97° 41.256′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Manor Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at the Harvard Place Apartments. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5020 Manor Road, Austin TX 78723, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Josiah Pugh Wilbarger (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Colored Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Site of Fort Colorado (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bethany Cemetery Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller (approx. 1.8 miles away); Addcox House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Henry G. Madison Cabin (approx. 2.4 miles away); University Interscholastic League (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Regarding Site of Pecan Springs School. The Pecan Springs Elementary School website gives a short history of the school:
Pecan Springs School is over 100 years old and was originally built as a two-room school house with four grades, with an outhouse in the back. Its original location was on Manor Road where an existing apartment complex stands. There is a historical plaque commemorating the original school site. There also exists a large bound volume of the history of Pecan Springs School from 1875-1975 written by Nadine M. Whitely.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on December 18, 2012, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of Baldwin City, Kansas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.