Near Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site: Blake’s Mill
July 18, 1864. Blair’s 17th A. C. of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee (US Flag), enroute from Roswell to Decatur, camped here ~ where both McPherson and Blair had h’dq’rs. Dodge’s 16th A. C. camped 1 mi. N. on the Rainey plantation where some of Sweeny’s men fought a sham battle using green apples for bullets.
Logan’s 15th A. C. detoured 1.5 mi. N. to join Garrard's cav. at Browning's Court House (now TUCKER), 4 mi. E. of here ~ a move that began the destruction of the Georgia R. R. at Stone Mtn.
Erected 1986 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 044-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 51.7′ N, 84° 17.2′ W. Marker is near Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Shallowford Road 0.1 miles south of Interstate 85, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1˝ miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Rainey Plantation (approx. 1.6 miles away); Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur (approx. 1.9 miles away); The March to Decatur (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site: Henderson’s Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Wm. Johnston's Mill (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and similar text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission, which had disappeared from near this location. The replacement marker had been removed for construction in approximately 1999, but was reinstalled in this location, a short distance from the original site, in 2012.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.