Near Sisters in Deschutes County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Welcome to historic Fish Lake.
Now a quiet and peaceful place, it was once filled with the hustle and bustle of people working and traveling across the Cascades.
Nearby is the Fish Lake Remount Depot which has been in continuous use as a U.S. Forest Service station since 1910. The depot was originally developed as a way station and became the most popular stop on the Williamette Valley and Cascade Mountain Wagon Road, commonly called the Old Santiam Wagon Road.
This road was a pioneering route across the Cascades, becoming a vital link between western and eastern Oregon. Over the years countless footsteps, thousands of hooves, wagon wheels and the churning wheels of early automobiles all shaped the road. In 1905 two cars heading towards Portland to complete the first trans-continental automobile race traveled the length of the road.
The gate in front of you is a reconstruction of one of the toll gates that travelers passed through. The road company built a hotel, saloon, store, barn, blacksmith shop, and corrals to serve travelers.
To this day the depot is actively used by the Forest Service and includes log buildings from the early 1920s, as well as structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. Traces of the wagon road are still visible and a pioneer gravesite
Please help preserve this historic site.
Erected by United States Forest Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 44° 24.075′ N, 122° 0.203′ W. Marker is near Sisters, Oregon, in Deschutes County. Marker can be reached from McKenzie Highway (Oregon Route 126) 1.6 miles south of U.S. 20, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is accessed by a Forest Service road on the west side of State Route 126 approx. 1.6 miles south of US 20; the marker is 0.1 miles down the Forest Service road. Marker is in this post office area: Sisters OR 97759, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Life of a Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Mailman (approx. 13.3 miles away); Wisely Reasoned (approx. 13.9 miles away); A Fittin' Tribute (approx. 13.9 miles away); Dee Wright Observatory (approx. 14 miles away); Old Wagon Road (approx. 14 miles away); Scott Road (approx. 14.6 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.