Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Portage in Cook County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Grand Portage

 
 
The Grand Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 14, 1995
1. The Grand Portage Marker
Inscription. The Grand Portage, or Great Carrying Place, was a key 18th century link between the Pigeon River and Lake Superior, making it also a vital connection between Montreal and the rich fur-bearing lands far to the northwest. Traveled for centuries before by Native peoples, the 8.5 mile portage bypassed the unnavigable rapids and waterfalls on the lower 21 miles of the Pigeon River. Beginning about 1731, thousands of tons of furs and traded goods were carried across the Grand Portage on the backs of voyageurs. Each summer a great Rendezvous was held on these grounds near Lake Superior. Most of the trade here was over by 1803, but use of the portage is still covered by an 1842 treaty.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 47° 57.768′ N, 89° 41.076′ W. Marker is in Grand Portage, Minnesota, in Cook County. Marker is at the intersection of Mile Creek Road (County Route 17) and Store Road (County Route 73), on the left when traveling south on Mile Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 Mile Creek Road, Grand Portage MN 55605, United States of America.
 
Also see . . .  Grand Portage National Monument. (Submitted on January 2, 2013.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
The Grand Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 14, 1995
2. The Grand Portage Marker
The Grand Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 14, 1995
3. The Grand Portage Marker
The Grand Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 14, 1995
4. The Grand Portage Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement