Finial from One, Poultry, London EC4, 1870
The building was constructed in 1870 to a design by the Victorian architect John Belcher Jr., in the Venetian-Gothic style.
A replacement building by Professor Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was proposed in 1967, but after much controversy, the project, known as Mansion House Square, was finally defeated in 1982. In 1986 an alternative project, also known as Number 1 Poultry, was designed by the British architect Sir James Stirling. The Foundation Stone of this building took place in 1998.
The finial fragment, popularly nicknamed 'The Witch's Hat'. was carefully dismanteled, numbered, and shipped to the United States, where it was reassembled, first, in the groundsw of the Farnsworth House, by Professor Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in Plano, Illinois; and now, in 2003, at Kentuck Knob.
Location. 39° 52.29′ N, 79° 31.368′ W. Marker is in Dunbar, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from Kentuck Road. Touch for map. Marker is in the sculpture garden of Lord and Lady Palumbo at Kentuck Knob National Historic Landmark. There is an admission fee to visit the house and garden. Marker is at or near this postal address: 723 Kentuck Road, Dunbar PA 15431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Photos of London Buildings. Scroll down to see the finial on Old One Poultry. (Submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 229 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.