Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Samuel Winstead (1778-1851)
Samuel Winstead, a native of Virginia, came here in 1799. At his death, his $34,000 estate included several tracts of land and 78 slaves. His will granted freedom and passage to Liberia for all his slaves upon the death of his wife. At Susannah's death in 1862, questions arose as her will attempted to leave the slaves to her second husband, Jeremiah Stephenson. With the Civil War came emancipation and the Winstead slaves never went to Africa. After years in local court, the Tennessee Supreme Court ruled on the issue in 1870 granting the Winstead ex-slaves their $26,900 portion of the estate. Luckily, the escrow had been invested in U.S. bonds and the beneficiaries received $364.25 each. Winstead is buried here along with several members of the John McKinney family, who owned the property prior to 1814.
Erected 2005 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Location. 35° 53.475′ N, 86° 52.692′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Hillview Lane 0.1 miles west of Columbia Pike (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1113 Hill View Lane, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winstead Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hood and Schofield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnton Plantation (approx. 1.3 miles away); Tennessee Association, (approx. 1.3 miles away); Federal Forward Line (approx. 1.3 miles away); McGavock Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named McGavock Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 28, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.