Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Monroe Dunaway Anderson 1873-1939 / Anderson, Clayton & Company
Monroe Dunaway Anderson
Monroe Dunaway Anderson is known as the “father” of the Texas Medical Center and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He was born 29 June 1873 on McNairy Hill at the present site of 111 East Orleans Street. Educated in Jackson City Schools and at Union University, he was a banker, philanthropist, and founding partner of Anderson, Clayton & Co., the world's largest merchandiser of cotton during the mid-20th century. His $19 million estate was as of 1939, the largest charitable fund created in the state of Texas. Anderson's generosity not only helped establish the world's largest medical center but also libraries, auditoriums, college buildings, and, on the campus of Lambuth University, a planetarium. He is buried with his family in Jackson's Riverside Cemetery.
Anderson, Clayton & Company
Anderson, Clayton & Company, at one time the world's largest merchandiser of cotton, began as Frank E. Anderson & Company, across the street from this plaza. Frank Anderson, Will Clayton and Monroe D. Anderson established their partnership in Oklahoma City on August 1, 1904. Company headquarters moved to Houston in 1916. World War I demands for cotton enhanced their fortunes. Overseas
Erected 2012 by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4D 60.)
Location. 35° 36.81′ N, 88° 49.174′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Highland Avenue (State 5) (U.S. 45) and East Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling south on Highland Avenue (State 5). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson TN 38301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andersons & Claytons Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); David Crockett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Butler Race Track c. 1825 / Memphis Conference Female Institute 1843-1923 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riverside Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Ulysses S. Grant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Beauregard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jackson Spoke Here (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Also see . . . Monroe Dunaway Anderson. (Submitted on December 22, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on December 28, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 22, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.