Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gov. J. C. W. Beckham promoted construction of New Capitol due to overcrowding and disrepair in Old Capitol. Federal funds for Civil and Spanish-American War claims paid half of $1,820,000 cost. In 1904, Frank M. Andrews selected as architect. Cornerstone laid 1906. Capitol completed during Gov. A. E. Willson's term. Legislature met Jan.; building dedicated June 1910.
Building's style is neo-classic, with 70 Ionic monolithic columns. North pediment shows a heroine--Kentucky--with Progress, History, Law, Art, and Labor as attendants. French influence portrayed by dome and rotunda, designed like tomb of Napoleon, and white marble stairs with banisters, copies of those in Paris Opera House. Murals in east and west wings by Gilbert White.
Erected 1986 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1779.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.37′ N, 84° 52.485′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Capital Avenue and East Todd Street, on the right when traveling north on Capital Avenue Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frankfort Chosen As Capital (within shouting distance of this marker); Emma Guy Cromwell (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Frankfort Barracks (about 600 feet away); Frank Lloyd Wright / Rev. Jesse R. Zeigler House (about 600 feet away); Kentucky's Executive Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Melodye Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Civil War Reprisal (approx. ¼ mile away); Frankfort (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 273 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.