Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Locks and Dams
The United States Army Corps of Engineers maintained the Kentucky navigation system until the last commercial user of the river-a Frankfort sand and gravel company-stopped moving its commodities by barge in 2002. The locks and dams are now under the supervision of the Kentucky River Authority, an agency of state government.
A Kentucky River steamboat. Photograph courtesy of the Capital City Museum; City of Frankfort Department of Parks, Recreation & Historic Sites.
Location. Touch for map. Located along the Riverview Trail in Kentucky River View Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Hill Overlooking the Kentucky River (about 600 feet away); Gone But Not Forgotten – Frankfort’s “Craw” (about 600 feet away); Franks Ford, Fishtrap Island, and Craw (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old State House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Emily Thomas Tubman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Church of the Ascension (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.