Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds

 
 
Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds Marker
Inscription. Formed in 1901, the Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Association of Hill County acquired 73 acres of wooded land as a site for its summer reunion. The 3-5 day encampment, held annually from 1902 to 1924, was an important social and recreational event in this locality. Many families traveled by wagon and camped at the site. Special trains from Hillsboro brought other visitors, and a gravel auto road was completed in 1909. The reunion usually attracted a crowd of several thousand persons. Activities included speeches, musical programs, baseball games, and, on one occasion, a carnival midway show. Located on the grounds were a spring-fed lake, large pavilion, and baseball park. Some families leased their camp lots and built summer cottages. The fraternal picnic association's July 4th picnic, 1908-14, and other meetings and social events were also held here. With the reopening (1916) of the Hill County Fair and a decrease in numbers of veterans and old settlers, reunion attendance dropped sharply at the end of World War I (1918). The association deeded its property to the state in 1924 to be developed as Jefferson Davis State Park, but those plans were never realized.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1032.)
 
Location.
Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds Marker, seen near Walnut Street Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
2. Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds Marker, seen near Walnut Street Baptist Church
32° 0.554′ N, 97° 5.289′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on Corsicana Highway (State Highway 22) near Walnut Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located opposite Hill College entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George L. and Roxie Brooks Porter Home (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Davis Home (approx. 2.1 miles away); Abbott House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hillsboro Junior College (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sims-Womack House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hillsboro (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
 
Also see . . .  excerpt The Hillsboro Mirror -Wednesday June 18, 1930. ... The first reunion was held at the new arbor, August 13, 14, 15, 1902, an immense crowd was called together with music provided by Professor W J Crabb and his orchestra of boys and girls consisting of Harry Dudley, Beatrice Tomlinson, Marion Maddux, Nannie Dudley, Myrtle Tomlinson, Donel Wood, Rupert Crabb, John Furman and Paul Turner. ... (Submitted on January 2, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement