Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
In 1858, the Lotz House was built on property purchased from Fountain B. Carter by German immigrant Albert Lotz, a master carpenter and piano maker. On November 30, 1864, before the Battle of Franklin, the Lotz family sought refuge across the street in the Carter House. When the Confederates broke through the Union defenses on Columbia Pike, they were halted by Union Col. Emerson Opdyke’s brigade, which was on both sides of the Pike, north of the Lotz House.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3D 69.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 55.072′ N, 86° 52.375′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Columbia Avenue (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1111 Columbia Avenue, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lotz House (here, next to this marker); Epicenter of the Battle of Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker); Opdycke's Bridgade (within Carter House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Carter House (about 300 feet away); Cleburne’s Division (about 600 feet away); Bate's Division (about 600 feet away); Brown's Division (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 3, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 7. submitted on July 19, 2018, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.