Pomfret in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of St. Joseph
by Father Joseph Hunter, S. J.
The eighteenth century merchant who died in 1804 is buried here. He willed his modest wealth to establish free schools for the education of poor children in this section of Charles County where he worked as a peddler and storekeeper for many years. Through his benevolence the McDonough Charity Fund was incorporated in 1807. Free schools were established and by 1900 the fund was sufficient to found the first school in the county that offered high school education. Called “The McDonough Institute”, it opened in September 1903 and served the county until 1927. The McDonough Charity Fund Since then has provided college scholarships for persons residing with the original McDonough district.
Erected by Charles County Civil War Centennial Commission.
Location. 38° 35.117′ N, 77° 1.439′ W. Marker is in Pomfret, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is at the intersection of Marshall Corner Road (Maryland Route 227) and St. Joseph's Way, on the left when traveling east on Marshall Corner Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4590 St. Joseph's Way, Pomfret MD 20675, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least “The Monastery” (approx. 2.2 miles away); Thomas Stone (approx. 2.6 miles away); Eutaw (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Stone (approx. 3.9 miles away); Myrtle Grove Game Refuge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Navy Railroad (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rose Hill (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Rose Hill (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . . St. Joseph's Church website. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,300 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.