Richmond Hill in Queens County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sergeant Joseph E. Schaefer Oval
World War II Medal of Honor Recipient
1. Sgt. Joseph E. Schaefer Medal of Honor.
2. Sgt. Joseph E. Schaefer Company I 18th Infantry First Infantry Division United States Army.
3. Awarded Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944.
4. Defended American Position at Stolberg, Germany, 24 September 1944.
5. World War II-Korea 1941-1945 1950-1951.
6. Resident of Richmond Hill for more than 40 years.
7. Sgt. Schaefer's indomitable courage and his determination were responsible for stopping an enemy breakthrough-President Truman.
8. Other Decorations-Two Silver Stars, Bronze Star, Three Purple Hearts, The Legion of Merit, French Croix, de Guerre.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Medal of Honor Recipients marker series.
Location. 40° 42.084′ N, 73° 50.49′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, New York, in Queens County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Lane South and Myrtle Ave on Park Lane South. Touch for map. The monument is located in Forest Park in the South West corner. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill NY 11418, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Queens Borough Hall Persian Gulf War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Remsen Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dexter Park (approx. 1½ miles away); The King Mansion (approx. 2 miles away); General Slocum Disaster Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Prospect Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tree Dedication for Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Categories. • War, Korean • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 389 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on January 3, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.