Frederickstown in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Samuel Wroth, D.F. Heath; Moses Cannon; Nicholas Franks; John W. Etherington; Joshua Ward; Dormer Oaks; John Etherington; John V. Price; Elias See; John T. Veazey; David Paget; Tylus Robinson; P. Biddle; James Council; Joseph Hovington; James Darley; James Clayton; Sergeant R. C. Lusby; Lieutenant John Henderson; Captain James Allen; John Duffy; Samuel P. Pennington; Sergeant Mate H. E. Coalman; Samuel Dixon; William Roberts; Francis MacKey; George Stanly; William Fort; Joseph Etherington; Edward Lister; --- Reynolds; Joseph Davis [of Morris]
Placed by National Society U.S. Daughters of 1812 5 April 1968
Erected 1968 by National Society U.S. Daughters of 1812.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 39° 21.919′ N, 75° 53.209′ W. Marker is in Frederickstown, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on School House Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is at the entrance of Duffy Creek Marina near 7 Schoolhouse lane
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sassafras River (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Heavy Price (approx. 0.3 miles away); Daring to Resist (approx. 0.4 miles away); Georgetown, Maryland (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mistress Kitty Knight (approx. half a mile away); Downs’ Cross Roads (approx. 1.8 miles away); Greenfield (approx. 1.9 miles away); Founded on Friendship (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Regarding Fort Duffy. Fredericktown and Georgetown on the north (Cecil County) and South (Kent County) sides of the Sassafras River were attacked on May 5, 1813 by the British Navy. They were met with militia fire from fortifications on both sides of the river. Fort Duffy defended Fredericktown on the north side. British marines drove the militia away and burned both towns.
Thomas Ward Veazey later became the 24th Governor of Maryland.
The earthworks of Fort Duffy were destroyed in the expansion of the Skipjack marina around 1985.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These three markers
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on January 3, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.