Signs of the Time
New Bedford Whaling National Historic Park
—National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
In 1899 the Third District Court of Bristol County took over the space and used it until 1914. After a succession of tenants, it was reopened as a bank again in the 1970s. Fleet Bank donated the building to the Waterfront Historic Area League (WHALE) in 1994. When New Bedford Whaling National Historic Park was established in 1996, WHALE donated the old bank to the American people to serve s the park’s visitor center.
Between 1914 and 1975, the “old bank” had various tenants, including a fraternal order and antique shop. In the 1950s and 1960s it housed Johnson’s Auto Parts Store, and what is now the adjacent garden was a parking lot.
Location. 41° 38.13′ N, 70° 55.452′ W. Marker is in New Bedford, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Williams Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 William Street, New Bedford MA 02740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . New Bedford Whaling National Historic Park - National Park Service. (Submitted on January 5, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on September 26, 2014, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on August 25, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on January 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5. submitted on September 26, 2014, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.