Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bethel A.M.E. Church

 
 
Bethel A.M.E. Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
1. Bethel A.M.E. Church Marker
Inscription. The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal congregatoin is the oldest independent black institution in Baltimore. Its origins date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church in protest against racially segregated seating and lack of representation in church hierarchy. To exercise control over their own spiritual affairs, the dissenting blacks formed a "Free African Society," congregating for prayers and meetings in private homes. They soon adopted the name "Bethel," (a Hebrew word meaning house of God), and in 1817, acquired their first church building, the old German Lutheran Churhc on Fish Street (now Saratoga).

Bethel's first pastor was Daniel Coker, an eminent orator and educator who late became the first recognized missionary of the Church when he joined the colonization party that went to Liberia in 1820. In 1816 an organizing conference in Philadelphia formally established the national indpendent African Methodist Episcopal Church. Coker was elected the first bishop; he declined the post, however, and Richard Allen was appointed the following day. Fourteen of the former pastors of Bethel have gone on to become bishops of the Church.

In 1910 Bethel moved to this church, originally constructed in 1868 for St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church. It was one of several churches
Bethel A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
2. Bethel A.M.E. Church
Marker is centered between the two other signs.
designed in "Norman Gothic" style by the Baltimore architects N.H. Hutton and John Murdoch.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Bethel A.M.E. Church, Sponsor, and William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 18.119′ N, 76° 37.723′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Druid Hill Avenue (Maryland Route 129) and West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling south on Druid Hill Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Druid Hill Avenue, Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Dr. Lillie May Jackson (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing. ); Union Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Highland Garnet Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rev. Dr. Vernon Nathaniel Dodson Memorial (about 300 feet away); Creating an African American Neighborhood (about 400 feet away); Henry Highland Garnett School
Bethel A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 15, 2008
3. Bethel A.M.E. Church
(about 400 feet away); Courting Justice (about 400 feet away); Foundation on Which to Build a Community (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
More about this marker. The marker features two illustrations, one of the "Exterior of the old Bethel Church" and another of Daniel Coker.
 
Also see . . .  Bethel A.M.E. Church website. (Submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,086 times since then and 165 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement