Jefferson City in Cole County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The capital of Missouri, officially named the City of Jefferson in honor of the third U.S. President, is built on a site chosen by the First General Assembly, 1821, for a seat of government. St. Charles, until 1826, was the temporary capital while the new town was established here. The first statehouse here burned, 1837, the second, 1911. Today's magnificent capitol completed 1917, is built of native Carthage marble.
The capitol is famous for its paintings, sculpture, and murals which highlight the historic role of Missouri as Frontier State; Gateway to the West; Mother of the West; and agricultural and industrial Center State. Other features are the Resources Museum; Soldiers and Sailors Hall; murals by Benton and Brangwyn; and legislative chambers.
In 1829 the city became the seat of Cole Co., organized 1820, named for Stephen Cole, pioneer. In 1833 the State Penitentiary was located here; the Missouri Pacific Railroad reached this point, 1855; and the Missouri River was bridged, 1896. Lincoln University, now State supported, was chartered as an institute for Negroes, 1866.
(See other side)
(Continued from other side)
The State capital, in the Ozark foothills, near the State's center, was settled mainly by Southerners and later Germans on land ceded the
During the Civil War, delegates elected to a State Convention, Feb. 1861, to decide Missouri's status in the Union, deposed the pro-Southern State officers who had left at the approach of Union troops, June 1861. A "Provisional Government, set up by the Convention, kept Missouri in the Union.
The State Seal, shown atop the marker, was adopted, 1822. Among symbols used are the crescent mark of the second son for Missouri, the second state formed from the Louisiana Purchase; a bear for courage and resources; the U.S. Coat of Arms for union; a helmet for strength; and a large star for Missouri, 24th state. The motto is "Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law."
Among sites of interest are the National Cemetery; Executive Mansion; Cole Co. Hist. Soc. Museum; Supreme Court, State Highway, and other State buildings; and statuary on capitol grounds and the river front view.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 38° 34.943′ N, 92° 13.119′ W. Marker is in Jefferson City, Missouri, in Cole County. Marker is on Missouri Boulevard Touch for map. Marker is at a roadside pullout on the north side of the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2525 Missouri Boulevard, Jefferson City MO 65109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spanish-American War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Price Mansion (approx. 2.4 miles away); The State Capital During The Civil War (approx. 2.4 miles away); Thomas Jefferson (approx. 2½ miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 2½ miles away); Willis Porter Corwin (approx. 2½ miles away); Missouri Motor Carriers Association Building (approx. 2½ miles away); The Tennessee House (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson City.
Also see . . . History/Heritage of Jefferson City MO. (Submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 342 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on November 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.