Centreville in Queen Anne's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
When officials decided to move the county seat and its supporting government functions, they chose a name that reflected its location and a spelling that signaled American's post Revolutionary War admiration of France. Street names such as Liberty and Commerce reflected the hopes of a newborn nation built on trade.
If You Build It, They Will Come
In 1796, the new Queen Anne's County courthouse opened for business. Close proximity of the Corsica River -- with easy access to shipping, trading and naval waters -- boded well for a settlement looking to grow. Today, Centreville's economy retains the core functions of supporting regional farms and county government.
Centreville, the seat of Queen Anne's County, is home to the oldest courthouse in continuous use in the state. Built of Flemish-bond brickwork, the building was constructed between 1792 and 1796, and enlarged and renovated in 1876. The carved and gilded eagle on the pediment is a replica of the one installed in the 1790s.
Erected by Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.
Location. 39° Touch for map. The marker is along the fence south of Wright's Chance. Marker is in this post office area: Centreville MD 21617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wright’s Chance (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Goldsborough House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Brass Pin (about 400 feet away); Queen Anne’s County (about 500 feet away); Carmichael House (about 500 feet away); Honor • Valor • WWI • WWII • Korea • Vietnam (about 500 feet away); The Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Chesterfield Avenue: River to Railroad Connection (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 308 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.